|THE ARROWHEAD INN
One of the parks in Washington Heights that is little known for its enjoyment and view of the George Washington Bridge is bordered by Haven Avenue, Cabrini Boulevard, 177th Street and 178th Street. Many motorists pass it daily on the off ramp from the bridge or passing it by when they have to use the Henry Hudson Parkway from 177th Street. What is even lesser known is the fact that at one time there used to be a restaurant and its historical significance to the area.
The Arrowhead Inn on 178th Street and Haven Avenue was opened in 1908 by restauranteur Ben Riley. Riley came from Saratoga, New York to start a business in New York City. One of the delicacies on the menu had been frog’s legs which was introduced to patrons who frequented the Inn. Such notables as “Diamond” Jim Brady and W. C. Fields were regulars.The Inn was also headquarters for a local automotive club.
The Arrowhead Inn was at a strategic location. Originally known as Depot Lane, 177th Street was a thoroughfare for traffic to and from a train staion for the New York and Hudson River Railroad Company which was organized in 1847 and laid tracks along the Hudson River for service to and from Albany thus giving the street its name.Near the station was the West End Hotel in what is now Fort Washington Park.
Riley sold the property to developers in 1923 and the restaurant was dismantled. He moved the restaurant to Riverdale Avenue and 246th Street in the Bronx sold the property again and relocated to Yonkers where the Arrowhead Inn was destroyed by fire. Riley died soon after.
While in Yonkers, the Arrowhead played host to various groups and functions. On April 20, 1939 former Mayor of Yonkers, Leslie Sutherland, was honored at a testimonial dinner. The Riverdale Temple held services at the Arrowhead in 1947 until they found a home for the Synagogue.
The 177th Street site of the former Arrowhead Inn had been selected
for apartment residences from the 1930’s to the 1960’s. The buildings were
razed and the land became a parking lot. In time the land was purchased
by the Port Authority to be used as a park and off-ramp for the George
Washington Bridge. The ramp connects to the West Side Highway
There is a sculpture within the part of the park surrounded by the off-ramp which is called “LARGE HYBRID.” This 12-foot sculpture was created by Richard Hunt and is on loan to the community from the New Paltz Gallery. It looks like a metal tree but upon closer inspection one can make out animal heads amid the branches.
On Cabrini Boulevard and 177th Street is a vest pocket playground.
Its blue benches
For more information on the Port Authority, George Washington
Bridge and the George Washington Bridge Bus Station log on to the Port
Authority’s website at www.panynj.gov.