APPROVED SUMMARY OF HHOC MEETING


SUMMARY OF HHOC MEETING FEBRUARY 26, 2001

The meeting took place at Simone Song Properties, 241 Cabrini Blvd., and began at 7:30 p.m. In attendance were the following individuals: David Abramson, Michael Augenblick, Caroline Brown, Marcella Calabi, Martha Ellington, Kathryn Engelhardt, Suwineetha Gunasekera, Mark Levine, Erica Lindenstraus, William J. McBurney Jr., Christina Molinari, Peggy Morrissey, Tom Morrow, Rosa Naparstek, Gus Perry, Elizabeth Lorris Ritter, Brian Shadood, Simone Yen Song, Henry Stern, Olga Tello, and Mike Zamm. The following member buildings had residents present: 66 Overlook Terrace Corp., 255 Cabrini Condominium, 350 Cabrini Owners Corp., 360 Cabrini Owners Corp., 720-730 Fort Washington Avenue Owners Corp., Cabrini Terrace Owners Corp., Castle Village Owners Corp., Chittenden House Inc., Ft. Tryon Corp., Hudson View Gardens, and Overlook Towers Corp. The following Community Associate Members (CAMs) and related neighborhood groups were represented: Friends of Bennett Park; Friends of Fort Tryon Park; Hudson Cliffs Theatre Arts Program; Simone Song Properties; Stein Perry Real Estate; Washington Heights Neighborhood Association; Beth Am, The People’s Temple; William B. May. Also represented was: 175 Pinehurst Ave.; 640 Ft. Washington Ave. Guests were: Monica Bauchwitz of Concerts in the Heights, Richard Lissemore of Lissemore Studios and Mother Cabrini High School's Singfest, and George Robinson of NURTUREart.

The meeting summaries from November and January were reviewed and agreed to (small editorial changes for January's).

Singfest will take place this year on April 1. It is a performance by Broadway and operatic talent mostly from the neighborhood, organized for the benefit of Mother Cabrini High School by Richard Lissemore of Lissemore Studios. HHOC agreed to purchase a $100 ad in the program and to spread the word through our mailing. For tickets call 923-3540.

Olga announced that the 34th Precinct has monthly Community Council meetings open to the public. We have not been focused on these before but agreed that it would be a good idea to make use of that line of communication with the police. Due to short notice, there was no firm commitment to attend that meeting as a representative of HHOC to the one two days after this meeting, but several people volunteered to try. The following meeting is 3/28 at St. Elizabeth School 612 West 187th St.

Olga and Tom announced that a group of concerned citizens is planning another community meeting in May.  HHOC supports these meetings as venues for "open mike" airing of community complaints to elected and administrative officials, and invites collaboration in directed problem-solving initiatives.

Monica Bauchwitz of Concerts in the Heights gave an informative progress report of this recently begun series of monthly chamber music concerts (September to June) at the Collegiate Church; next concerts are March 14th at 1 pm and March 16th at 8 pm. For more info, check out www.concertsintheheights.com. There was networking about audience building; Rosa agreed to help Monica with reaching the elderly community.

George Robinson of NURTUREart disseminated information about this organization and announced that a juried art exhibition will be on display at the Baldwin Gallery, Milstein Building, Presbyterian Hospital 3/11-5/4, with an opening reception 3/10, 3-6 pm. Again there was discussion and networking. Information: 212-795-5566.

 Continuing on cultural lines, Marcella reminded the group of the Northern Manhattan Community Artists’ summer concert series in Bennett Park. (Between this series and the chamber series in Collegiate Church, Hudson Heights now has regular community concerts year-round!) There was a call for volunteers to assist this series; some came forward. Readers of this summary who are interested in helping with the summer concerts can contact Anne Marie O’Keeffe at 212-923-7800 x1362 or e-mail concerts@hhoc.org.

Elizabeth reported that she had come across a potential source of pro bono legal assistance to complete the process of achieving hybrid 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) status for HHOC so that it can continue to function as a civic organization but also accept tax-deductible donations for not-for-profit causes. Tina agreed to follow up on this lead.

On behalf of Friends of Bennett Park, Marcella requested and received HHOC's support in a complaint to the Precinct concerning the recent outbreak of graffiti in the neighborhood.  Mike A. added some information about this topic and agreed to network with FoBP.

Olga suggested that a neighborhood Flea Market could be held with donated goods and proceeds to go to neighborhood causes, which idea was unanimously applauded with suggestions for how to carry this out.

HHOC has received an offer of a historical tour of the neighborhood by Cookingham tours. Peggy will follow up after Marcella gets her a phone number.  EMAIL:  fcookinham@juno.com

Since Richard and George had left, Marcella asked for (and got) HHOC agreement on donations: $100 for a program ad for Singfest; $100 to NURTUREart. She also reminded people about the donation boxes at local cash registers for the 187th St. Trivium.  Elizabeth reminded us that most of the donations originally intended for the frieze were (with the approval of the donors) redirected to the Trivium. Marcella agreed to communicate to the Trivium's designer a suggestion to put more information on the contribution boxes.

The postcards to elected officials re aircraft noise produced by the noise subcommittee were distributed and discussed. Anyone wanting some email aircraftnoise@hhoc.org or call 928-6030.

There was a brief discussion of petitioning the OpSail Parade to come all the way up to the George Washington Bridge next time, and when/how to contact the organization.  Marcella will pursue this.

It was discussed whether the idea of a private security guard shared among the buildings north of 187th should be resurrected in light of the Precinct's promise of a scooter cop shuttling between the parks; Kathryn brought up the idea of such a thing around the Chittenden block.

The controversy over the MTA's refusal to permit music and decoration in the subway elevators was discussed; dovetailed with the unsafe conditions of peeling lead paint etc.  Rosa reported on negotiations to date and led a brainstorming session about next steps.

The next meeting will be held on WEDNESDAY [note!  not Monday!] March 28th at 7:15pm, in the Castle Village Community Room. The meeting ended at 9:15 p.m.



© 2000 HHOC. All Rights Reserved.